Friday, November 5, 2010

The garden is cozy for winter


There's my garden, all snuggled in for the winter! The chest in front of the plants usually sits back in front of the window where the plant shelf is now. The quilt on top of the chest is one that I made, with corduroys, denims, flannels, and other good, heavy fabrics. It has several pockets, too.

We're supposed to get a hard freeze tonight, so most of today was spent taking care of the garden. I cut down the tomato vines and everything that is dead. I rearranged the furniture in the living room to make room for a shelf so that I could bring in the plants that are likely to survive the winter.

There are still a few plants out on the balcony. I have some petunias, marigolds, and a few other flowers that are going to die, whether I bring them in or not. Since I have limited room inside, I decided to leave them out. They're still pretty, if nowhere near as lush as they used to be, and it's possible that they'll last a decent while longer.

Now all I need to do is get the cut stuff bundled up and off the balcony, and clean out the bathtub. It's full of dirt and bits of plants, since I gave everyone a nice soaking as they came inside.

Before I go for today, I have one more picture for you. It's my garden, back in July, when it was very lush and jungle-y.


3 comments:

WEFA said...

Beautiful plants! I am going to work on gardening, as seeing I have my own apartment and am not going to another state every 2 months. I hope I have as good of luck as you

Rain said...

When you get started, get some of that moisture control dirt. It has these polymer crystals that absorb a bunch of water and slowly release it. It made a huge difference with my garden this year.

Wendy said...

I love the feeling in your house. It's like an Earth Mother is tucking all her children to sleep while she gently tends them. I can just imagine sitting there and drinking a nice cup of tea listening to the rain with you.